RLC seeks a Senior Level Protection Engineer to join it’s team in Hallowell, ME, who will serve as the department’s technical advisor and mentor for other Protection Engineers within the group. The incumbent must be well versed in the Transmission and Distribution protection schemes implemented by the Major New England Utilities.
He/she will be responsible for system protection engineering associated with electrical protective relay systems for generation, as well as transmission and distribution systems with emphasis on technical accuracy and completeness of content, i.e. quality. This includes protective relay design (protective relay one-lines and schematics), transmission and distribution system modeling (ASPEN), protective relay setting coordination, development and calculations. Incumbent is expected to follow client requirements, and internal company quality control and quality assurance practices. He/she is expected to serve as the interface with clients, other company departments, outside consultants, contractors, suppliers, and manufacturers on technically related matters. Expectations also include serving as Lead Engineer or technical reviewer on assigned projects. Incumbent will be responsible for working closely with other engineering and project management team members to coordinate overall project deliverables and be responsible for helping maintain project budgets and schedules.
Essential Functions of the Position
- Provide technical guidance for various relay setting schemes for basic and advanced system topologies to ensure quality of deliverables while meeting individual client preferences. This includes using Aspen as a primary tool to run various cases, interpret results and develop best possible bus, transformer, generator and line protection settings.
- Provide effective project planning, organizing, estimating, scheduling and monitoring of relay settings work activities including communication progress information to management, preparation and/or reviews of project scopes, concepts and quality control measures.
- Lead internal training and development, implementation and monitoring other staff development initiatives.
- Participate in the review of client Requests for Proposal and contribute to the completion of competitive project proposals and bid responses.
- Participate in marketing to clients and of projects and identifying new and maintaining existing client relationships.
- Assume responsibilities for all aspects of deliverables as they pertain to relay settings.
- Assume Project Management responsibilities as required to manage scope, schedule and budget for Relay Settings Projects.
- Attend meetings and conferences and researches, as necessary, to keep informed of technical development in the power industry as it pertains to Transmission and Distribution Protection.
- A Graduate of a four-year College or University with a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology is required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of professional experience focused on the development of protection philosophies, modeling of transmission/distribution systems and relay settings development.
- Professional Engineering License Required. Desired states: Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills to effectively communicate both internally and externally to the organization.
- Must have sufficient PC skills and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook. MSProject experience is desirable.
- Experience with ETAP, Mathcad Prime, AcSELerator, ASPEN, CAPE, UR EnerVista, or SKM Power Tools preferred.
- Serve on industry committees and associations, as appropriate, where potential clients’ network.
- Capable of managing small projects or tasks on larger scale projects and ability to mentor lesser experienced engineers and technicians
Key Attributes of Position
- Ability to work independently, and with others, while maintaining a high level of initiative and self-motivation.
- Demonstrate a high level of personal initiative and ability to interact with clients, company personnel, contractors, regulatory representatives, and town/city officials in a positive and collaborative manner.
- Possess a good working knowledge of substations, protection & control, and automation & integration projects.
- Communicate with Client and manage expectations.
- Monitor compliances with RLC Quality Standards.
- Possess ability to learn RLC’s Utility client protection standards and apply.
- Ability to independently develop proposals which include a scope of work that details the established goals and objectives, clearly defines the deliverables and schedule of work to be performed.
Medical and Dental
8 paid holidays
Group Insurance including Life, Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, and Long-Term Care
401(k) plan with employer match